In 1853 the first modest chapel was built in Boothstown. Methodism took root at Boothstown. The original chapel was found to be inadequate and so was replaced in 1872 by the recently demolished chapel. Throughout this time scholars attended the Wesleyan Sunday School but its popularity meant that Boothstown Methodist day school opened on the 18th August 1884.
It was opened by the Rev. J.J.Smith. The first headteacher was Mr. George Beddow. 95 children were registered on the opening day. The first pupil to be registered was Arthur E Saunders. The general assessment was 'They know no Geography or Grammar and are very, very backward.' The children started school at 3 and left school at the ages of 12 and 13, hopefully not very, very backward. By 1895 there were 282 on the register. Four classes were taught in the main hall while the infant class was taught in the church hall. There were 4 teachers, 2 monitors and Mr. Beddow.
Basic subjects were taught with great emphasis on the Three R’s- Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic. Discipline was strict. The cane was used by Mr. Beddow. There were no school meals and no school uniform. A school 'Clog Fund' was started to help the families who couldn't afford to buy their children footwear. Physical exercises were drill, but when a piano was bought in 1897 they were able to drill to music. Gun and bayonet drill for boys and fan drill for girls prompted Mr Beddow to write 'Both are taken up with much spirit by the scholars'.